A shopping website called emailed me its top five worst Valentine’s Day gifts, which naturally got me thinking about the best frugal V-day gifts. Here are my best and worst Valentine’s Day gifts. What’s on your list?
Worst Frugal Valentine’s Day Gifts
1. Nothing at all. Not even a card!!
2. Self-improvement item that I didn’t ask for, like a dieting book or scale.
3. Jewelry that I don’t like (see below for tips to buy jewelry).
4. A stuffed animal (unless you want to make me feel like I am five).
5. Flowers that look like they will die tomorrow.
Best Valentine’s Day Gifts
1. A wonderful homemade meal. Make a wonderful homemade dessert and you’re getting lucky tonight!
2. A card or letter with a note about what our friendship means to you.
3. A box of See’s chocolates (nuts and chews are the best!)
4. Jewelry that I love (ask a friend/sister for advice or give a “coupon” for a necklace, ring, or bracelet that I can pick out).
5. A surprise outing you’ve planned for us, like a hike and then picnic lunch, a romantic drive, or a special visit to a museum, art gallery, or other cultural event.