I’m a sucker for bowls of steaming soup during the cold season and this winter is no exception (never mind that we’ve had record high temps here in the Deep South; soup is still delicious even when it’s 72 degrees outside). It has been awhile since I’ve raved about the or shared a recipe, so I wanted to give you this season’s favorite dish at my house: Kale & Meatball Soup . This is an INCREDIBLY simple recipe that we absolutely adore because it comes together so quickly and tastes like heaven. An updated variation of Italian Wedding Soup, the following recipe is one I adapted from . (This cookbook is fantastic and I highly recommend it! Very simple, adaptable meals perfect for pressure cooking!) The only changes I really made are upping the veggies, adding a little more liquid and using fresh pasta in place of frozen.
I served this soup the last time my parents were here and my mama asked if it had butter in it. No, but the delicious cheese in the pasta oozing out into the rich broth along with the hint of lemon make it taste like butter! Trust me, you will love it! This recipe is even more delicious if you make it with chicken broth made from scratch in the Instant Pot!
- Kale & Meatball Soup
- (adapted from Great Food Fast by Bob Warden)
- 2 tablespoons olive oilkale
- 2 chopped onions
- 1.5 cups chopped celery
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 16 oz frozen Italian Meatballs
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz fresh tortellini
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt & pepper
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode and cook onions until they are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add celery, chicken stock, water, meatballs, kale, garlic, lemon juice, sugar, and basil.
- Lock the lid (with vent closed) and set to manual for 4 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, perform a quick pressure release (open the vent until the steam is released).
- Add tortellini noodles, lock the lid (with vent closed) and set to manual for 1 minute.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, perform a quick pressure release.
- Add salt & pepper to taste and serve!
This post contains affiliate links.