Amazon.com is my go-to place for shopping online because it often has the lowest price. On top of competitive prices, here are my 13 secrets to saving money at Amazon.com.
How do you save money when shopping Amazon.com?
1. Take advantage of the freebies! The site many times releases free eBooks, music, computer games and Android apps! I share them in our daily freebie post. At times, Amazon will also offer credits for MP3s and Instant Videos, and I post those as well. While Amazon doesn’t compile all it’s freebies on one page (that would be too easy) you can often find freebies within a category by sorting by price.
2. Consider paying for Amazon Prime. For only $79 a year, gives you many perks including free two-day shipping (though there’s a catch now as BB explains in her post Amazon Prime Changes for the Worse). Prime also gives you access to the Amazon lending library to borrow one eBook per month for free, and free streaming of many movies and TV shows. You might also want to split the cost by sharing the service with others in your “household.” Note, only the primary member will get the free free movies and TV shows, the additional members get the shipping perks. Bummer!
3. Become a member of . You don’t have to be a mom to join! This program carries many of the same perks as Amazon Prime. You’ll pay $79 a year and get 20 percent off diapers and wipes. Plus, you’ll also get the two-day free shipping, unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows, and you’ll be able to borrow a Kindle book for free each month. It’s basically Prime with the diaper and wipes discount.
4. Sign up for Amazon Student. If you love getting student discounts, joining may score you more discounts. Note, you will have to prove you are a student. You’ll pay $39 per year for four years. That’s a 50% discount off Prime! The perks are similar to those of Amazon Prime except you don’t get the free streaming and only get six months of free two-day shipping on eligible purchases, but you will get $5 for each friend you refer to Amazon student! I don’t know of any other Amazon referral bonus.
5. Check out the . Here’s where you’ll find the item Amazon has heavily discount for the day — sometimes up to 75 percent! Now that’s a bargain.
6. Score the lightning deals. On the same page as the deal of the day, you’ll also find promotions that only last for four hours or until all of the coupons are used. The featured items change often so get in the habit of checking back.
7. Buy used items. Shop Amazon’s to get steep discounts on open-box and refurbished items. Amazon guarantees the items are in working order, so if you’re not completely satisfied you can return products in their original condition within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. Another way to save is to buy used from third-party sellers on Amazon.
8. Score FREE gift cards. Earn when you trade in electronics like old cell phones. Another way to score free gift cards is to use Swagbucks. All you have to do is download the Swagbucks toolbar and search the Internet as your normally do to rack up a lot of swagbucks and later redeem for free Amazon gift cards among others.
9. Buy discounted gift cards. Shop sites that sell discounted gift cards to snag Amazon gift cards for less than face value.
10. Earn cash back when you shop Amazon. You can get up to 3.0 percent cash back when you through !
11. Subscribe to get items you’re constantly ordering and save. Order through the to save up to 15 percent off the price. You have to have more than five subscriptions to get this discount. Set up a delivery schedule (receive items as often as every month or as infrequently as every six months) for items like diapers, laundry detergent, and more. Plus, subscribe & save items come with free shipping, and you won’t be charged until the item ships.
12. Score FREE shipping all the time! Use a site like to find items that qualify for free shipping if your order falls short of the $25 minimum. Type in the amount you need to spend to hit $25 and the site spits a list of qualifying items. P
13. Become and affiliate. Unfortunately, those in California and Rhode Island can’t take advantage of this trick. But if you set up an affiliate account and shop through your own referral link, you can earn a bonus of 4.25 percent to 8.5 percent discount, depending on how many sales you make! Share it with friends or family to earn more.
14. Use the price guarantee. If a price drops on an item within 30 days of when you bought it, call customer service and as for the difference refunded. Reader Bill saved $30 on his Kindle Fire doing this! Bill, thanks for sharing this tip!
15. Price check on CamelCamelCamel.com. Reader Ryan turned me onto this frickin’ amazing site. He says: “Amazon changes prices over time and this site tracks it and will send you an alert when an item hits your target price. If it is something expensive the difference can be pretty big.” Thanks for sharing, Ryan!
16. Save for later. Use Amazon’s “save for later” button, which keeps a list of items you’re considering buying, to avoid impulse buys. Later, you can delete saved items or purchase them. There’s an added perk to using the “save for later” button, as reader Annie writes: “This is also a great way to track changes in the prices of items you are thinking of buying. When you visit your cart, Amazon gives you an alert at the top of the screen telling you if any prices increased or decreased since the last time you viewed your cart. This feature helped me realize when the price of an AC/heater unit I wanted dropped, saving me about $80.” Thanks for sharing this tip, Annie!