I don’t know about you, but money is a turn on for me. Having money, that is. (As opposed to spending money. Big spenders, to me, are often compensating for low confidence.) I’ll admit, when I was dating my husband, a lot of his financial decisions turned me on (list below).
What about money turns you on?
1. He had nice appliances. A high quality vacuum that said, I care about having a clean house. (Major bonus.) And a washer dryer set that had more buttons than I’d ever seen before. (I need to get out more, people!) I could have my bra and undies washed just…so. And don’t get me started on his dishwasher. It’s one of those that takes two hours to clean the dishes but everything comes out steaming hot and perfect. Domestic bliss!
2. He owned his home, which told me he made enough money to pay a mortgage, and had the cojones to make a life-changing purchase on his own. Aside from money, confidence is extremely attractive.
3. He contributed to his and his 401k. So I knew he saved money before spending it.
4. He had an older car, a 2006 Honda Element. The car is super ugly, something that to this day I have never told him. My words were more along the lines of, It’s not the best looking car, hon, but it meets our needs.” The Element is also comfortable and only requires oil changes. A zero maintenance car? Kiss me now!
5. He cut his own hair. Hubs doesn’t have a lot of hair, so perhaps that is part of the reason he shaves his head himself. But I think it also has to do with his practical nature. Why spend $15 and 45 minutes with a barber when he can buzz his own head in 10 minutes for free at home?
Note, the mess this makes is decidedly unsexy.
6. He flew across the county to see me, at considerable expense. The message was, I’m totally willing to spend a lot of money to be with you. Melting!
7. When I moved across the country to live with him, instead of suggesting I buy my own bedroom furniture, he cleared out half his bureau to make room for my clothes. A gesture as romantic as it is frugal!
What sexy financial decisions has the special person in your life made? If you met someone tomorrow, what about their financial profile would be a turn on?
PS. No, the man in the picture is not my Hubs. He’s even sexier.