This is a post by staff writer Yazmin Cruz.
I have cut back on a lot of things in life to save money, but there are some things I simply wouldn’t do to save a few bucks. After reading Bargaineering’s I was inspired to list the 10 things I won’t do. My list includes three of the writer’s suggestions like stocking up on condiments from restaurants and skipping a shower.
1. I won’t take condiments from restaurants. It’s stealing, enough said.
2. I won’t ask for a cup for water, and then fill up on soda. This is one of my pet peeves. Just pay for the soda if you want to drink the sugary thing!
3. I won’t take toilet paper from hotels or work. It’s just plain cheap. (Like reader Glenn in Vegas.)
4. I won’t give up toilet paper. A few months back, Julia said she was giving up toilet paper for cloth wipes to save money and asked readers if they’d follow suit. I’ll pass. Sorry, BB! I’ve written about saving money during that time of the month with reusable pads, but that’s as far as I’ll go.
5. I won’t avoid flushing the toilet. You’ve heard it before: If it’s yellow, let it mellow… I don’t think so. Sure you can save money by not flushing your toilet after every use, but the smell and awful rust rings are just not worth it. When I tried this experiment I ended up spending my savings on extra strength toilet bowl cleaner and air freshener to mask the smell.
6. I won’t skip tipping. I come from a working class family so I know how important it is to tip those who work as servers. These people usually have the toughest jobs and aren’t well paid. I always leave tips, unless the service is sub par.
7. I won’t shortchange anyone. I’ve been tempted. Recently, I asked readers for their advice when I found out I was undercharged at the dentist. I really wanted to keep the money and add it to my fun budget.
8. I won’t go without showering to save money on water. As a person who rides public transportation I know the importance of having good hygiene. I don’t want to be THAT person that everyone avoids on the bus because of BO. Yuck!
9. I won’t take extra plastic bags from grocery stores to use as trash liners. It’s stealing. Also, grocery stores in L.A. are starting to charge for them. BYOB, I always say.
10. I won’t buy lottery tickets. I mean… what are the chances? I’m more likely to get struck by lightning. I rather save and invest wisely.
Where do you draw the line when it comes to saving money and what extreme frugal tips do you follow?
More from our personal finance friends…
Stop spending a fortune at the grocery store! Wise Bread lists the to save money.