Why spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on an 8-hour dress? Your wedding is your day, but blowing $1,000 on a schmancy white gown is not going to make it more yours. You can own your wedding on a budget! Here are 8 places to look for a cheap dress. Tip: make sure to budget at least $50 for alterations.
- Perhaps your mom, aunt, sister, cousin or in-law has a dress that fits your body and style? If not, is salvaging the material to make a new dress an option?
- HereComesTheGuide.com lists sample sales and in CA, D.C., Chicago, and New York City.
- J.Crew has white starting at $225. Some go as high as $2,995! (That is the less-affordable range.) Wait until you get a coupon code for extra savings.
- eBay has many auctions for in the $100 range when I last checked. With any used clothing, but especially white dresses, make sure to ask if the dress has been cleaned, or else budget $50 and up to have it dry cleaned.
- Find high-end consignment shops that specialize in dresses by Googling “consignment wedding dresses + your zip code”
- JC Penney has wedding dresses starting at $100.
- PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com has for $100-$300.
- You might have a super special dress in your own closet. Who says wedding dresses have to be white?!
What did you wear on your wedding day – and how much did you spend on your outfit?
Related blog posts:
Planning an affordable wedding in 10 weeks or less
Ideas for frugal wedding favors and centerpieces
Recession wedding: road trip!
4 cheap wedding tips from a first-time groomsman