Time Moneyland shares . This got me thinking of the handful of bad gifts I’ve received and tips to help you get the perfect last minute gifts. I share my tips below.
But first, let me share with you the worst holiday gift I’ve ever received. Two years ago, I received a trash can for Christmas. I guess it’s better than coal, right? I still don’t understand why someone would think I’d like a trash can. Nonetheless, the trash can is in my bathroom and a thank you note was sent to the person. The can is stainless steel and stands out like a sore thumb because it doesn’t fit my bathroom decor. I can’t be the only one who has received a bad gift. Share yours in the comments!
Still need to find a last minute gift? Here’s how to insure you get the perfect gift for a friend or loved one.
1. Talk it out. Knowing peoples likes and dislikes helps! If you’re gifting food, make sure you’re aware of any food allergies. I once received a food basket full of pork products. Yikes! I always have a bad reaction when I eat pork so it went to a local shelter.
2. Ask for a wishlist. Knowing exactly what the recipient wants can make things less stressful. Buy a gift that’s in your budget, not theirs. If you’ve been asked to share your wishlist, make sure to include items of all price ranges.
3. Become a digital detective. If you’re allowed on a friends’ laptop, their browser history can give you clues as to what they want. You can easily find what they’ve been eying online. Just make sure the item is intended for them and not others.
4. It’s not about you. Make sure the gift you’re giving is something the recipient will like. The Time Moneyland story groups the bad gifts into six categorize: The All About Me Gift, The Obvious Regift, The Statement Gift, The Well-Meant Misfire, The Passive-Aggressive Gift, and The Non-Gift. Watch out if you’re giving any of these gifts out this year! My least favorite gift is the gift that is all about the giver. You know the one I’m talking about — the one where you get items from their favorite sports team.
What’s the worst gift you’ve ever received?
- Last minute gifts at Walgreens
- 3 Simple Holiday Wreaths You Can Make for Under $25
- Best Groupons for Christmas Gifts
- 8 Easy and Fun Christmas Crafts
- How to Opt Out of Giving Gifts
- 107 DIY Stocking Stuffers
- Most Unusual Gifts this Christmas
- 12 Gifts that Save Money in 2013
- Is taking a vacation cheaper than exchanging gifts?
- How to make paper Christmas ornaments
- Top Gift Cards for the Holidays
- 10 Ways to Earn Extra Money Before Christmas
- How I got $550 in Christmas Presents for $98
- (Wise Bread)