With Mother’s Day just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking of ways your kids can express their love for their grandmothers… or maybe even you! We’ve found some easy, frugal DIY ideas for handmade items that are fun to make and won’t cost you a small fortune at the craft store.
6 DIY Mother’s Day Cards and Gifts
1. Pinecone flower bouquets. This kids’ craft from is easy, but the result is amazing. “Collect some pinecones on a nature walk with your kids and bring them back to the craft table! Have the kids paint just the wide tops of them with pretty colors and add a yellow dot in the middle. Fill a clear bowl with the pinecones for a cute ‘bouquet’ idea.” Materials needed: pinecones, paintbrush, paint and a clear plastic bowl to display the finished results.
2. Painter’s tape finger paint card or artwork. This idea, found on Pinterest, looks spectacular, but is really easy. Using a blank canvas or piece of paper, use blue painter’s tape to make words or shapes. Then let your child or toddler paint – or finger paint – all over the canvas. When the paint is dry, simply remove the tape.
3. DIY bath bombs. If you’re like this mom, you love a relaxing soak in the tub. This recipe for DIY bath bombs, from , is one of the easier ones I was able to find. No molds needed – you can use muffin pans to shape them. What you need: baking soda, citric acid, corn starch, Epsom salts, water, olive oil, lavender oil and food coloring. You can also add sprinkles, dried flowers, or even glitter.
4. String heart yarn cards. This activity encourages fine motor skills with a little bit of threading activity. From Materials needed: colorful yarn, thick card stock, large threading needle, pencil, erasers, scissors, heart template (you can use a cookie cutter).
5. Sharpie art coasters. These make for a beautiful keepsake and they couldn’t be easier to make. What you need: white ceramic tiles (which can be bought at the hardware store for $0.50 each), isoprophyl alcohol, clear finish spray, Sharpie pens.
6. Hand print tote bags. Useful and cute! You can find plain canvas bags like this at Michael’s for under $5. Then all you need is fabric paint and a little imagination. Find the full instructions at .
What are you making for Mother’s Day?